Sunday, March 23, 2008

The ups and downs


For those of you you think being a soap maker is easy, here is one of the downs. I had a craft show at the world famous Atlantis resort. I did one last year and it was great. They had a lot of games for the kids and dance , limbo contests.

This year they set up craft booths with make you own bath salts, make your own candles and a few other make your own craft booths. They also sold tickets for their games, food and booths. There were 4 of us local crafters there with our stuff. We were only allowed to accept cash not tickets. Needles to say ,it was a bad day for me. People kept coming trying to buy things with tickets. We did about 25% then we did before.


The up of this is that I am more determined by next year not to being doing these kind of shows. I appreciate the opportunity but I am not a novelty , I am a niche.There is a difference!
Another up is that the hotel and water park is awesome and me and the boys will spend our next holiday there and not disney!

1 comment:

Wendy aka Gwendolyn said...

I love your comments on this issue of craft shows. I have done craft shows in the past and had to learn the hard way not to do them. It seems as if everyone was looking for a deal and did not want to spend what my product was worth. My sales at times did not cover the expense of participating in the shows.
I do have to say, that for some the craft shows do work. It's just a matter of deciding if you want a business or just sometimes sell.
Best wishes to you and continued success.
Gwendolyn's Gate